Journey

Journey

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Break-up

Dear Credit Card,

This relationship is not working out.

We've been having problems for some time now, as you may know.

It's not you, it's me.

But ok, really it's you...

I hate the way you let me use you, abuse use, and take advantage of you.  I wish you had a backbone and put up a fight sometimes.  And I really wish that you would tell me 'no'.  Instead you sit there in my bilfold all red and shiny and pretty, just begging to be used.

I hate how easy you are.  Instead of sliding through the credit card machine while I am checking out, I wish you would give me a shock like a taser so I would have to really, really want something bad enough to go through pain for it.

I hate the way your statements show up every month in my inbox, all cheery and happy-go-lucky, when the numbers I find inside make me feel anything but cheery or happy.

I hate the way I find comfort in you in a moment of stress.  You act as if you can solve all of my problems with a little retail therapy, when really you just create more.

You deceive me.

Lie to me.

And leave me feeling empty.

I hate the way you whisper sweet-nothings to me, even though you don't have a voice.  You tell me that as long as I have you, I don't need anything or anybody else.  Certainly not a Savior.  He can't buy me fancy shoes or nice clothes or soft toilet paper the way you can.

I hate it when I get a notice in the mail that you have increased my limit with you, as if we don't get enough of each other the way it is.

I hate the way you make me think that I am more secure with you riding around in my wallet.  Like you could save me from any old problem or expense that came my way.

I hate how truly out of control our relationship is.  We keep tiptoeing around each other, thinking that things will get better.  But they don't.

I'm done.  I don't deserve this, I really do not deserve this.

Sorry, Red, I really wish it didn't have to end like this.

But I don't see any way around the inevitable.

We had a great run, and lots of fun.  But now it's time for me to move on.  Without you.



And so, it's over.


Please note that there are really only 2 places that will be sad about this break-up...Pella Christian Grade School, because  Target will no longer donate 1% of my purchases at Target to the school, and Target itself because I will no longer spend to my hearts content because of the ever-enticing 5% discount...plus free shipping...but who's counting anyway.  I really, really hope that Target can make it without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment