Journey

Journey

Monday, April 28, 2014

Never

What, never?

No, never.


What, never?


Well, hardly ever!


-William Schwenck Gilbert, H.M.S. Pinafore


This little quote does a great job of conveying what I have said and felt many, many times in my life.

Following is my Top 5 list of things I said I would never, no, never do.

1.  Be a model.  This one is kind of a weird one.  It goes back to those junior high days when you are all dreaming about what you want to do or be someday, and I'm just sure I would say this one so that I could perhaps gain a little attention.  Then when my friends would ask why I would never be a model I could point at my face and create a whole lot of awkwardness...because, you know, j-high isn't awkward enough on it's own.  Then a couple of years ago I was doing some volunteer work for Many Hands for Haiti, and they asked me to model some of their jewelry for their Solid Ground website.  Who would have guessed.  I didn't think they were still using my picture, but behold, there it is on the 'necklace' tab.  Be sure to check it out because they have cute jewelry, along with coffee, home décor, apparel, and hot sauce.



2. Be a stay-at-home mom.  Sorry kids, hate to break it to you, but prior to having children I had high hopes of doing something.  I'm not sure what, but something.  Changing diapers and having baby conversations all day was never on my radar.  Then this little thing started growing inside me, kicking me in all the wrong spots, giving me all sorts of heartburn, and contorting my body into a shape I didn't know was possible, and all the sudden I knew that there wasn't anywhere else I would want to be besides home with my baby.  Now don't get me wrong, there are days now that I dream of a job outside this house, but then I remember that I can't wear sweats, a ponytail, and flip-flops to that certain job, and the dream quickly becomes a nightmare, and I am back to thinking that there isn't anywhere else in the world that I would want to be.  And then my kids start fighting and I start dreaming again...



3.  Run a 5k.  Again, this one is a bit strange, but I have never really enjoyed running, or if we're being accurate, jogging.  In high school I played basketball, or as my brother would say, "I was on the team," and I was always that last one crossing the line during sprints.  I much preferred the laid-back tempo of golf.  Walking and swinging a club, I can do.  Running for fun, no way, never.  Until I married this crazy man who loves to be active and outdoors and he decided to sign me up for 5k after 5k.  Now I can jog a 5k, perhaps even without dying.



4.  Have 4 kids.  And again, sorry children, particularly #4.  But by the time you are old enough to read this I pry won't be "cool" anymore, so you won't even know these posts exist.  My man and I always talked about having 2, maybe 3 kids.  Never 4.  We knew our limits, and they ended at man-to-man parental defense  Well, let me tell you something, God has a sense of humor, and if you've ever met our #4 you know this to be true.  Here we are over 3 years into being parents of 4 kids, and not only are we surviving, but I feel like maybe at least 5 minutes of everyday(after the kids go to bed) we are even thriving at this parenting thing.



5.  Last 6 months without shopping for clothes.  When I started my fast just under 6 months ago I was pretty sure I would fail, yet I was determined.  Never had I gone more than, let's just say a month, for the sake of my man reading this, without buying clothes for either myself or my children.  Now that I am just a few days away from being done with my fast I know that it is possible to wear the same cardigan layered over different items and still be cute...although my man would disagree with me that any of my cardigans are cute.  I know that we are all sick of this cold, dreary spring, but let me tell you something...it has been an answer to my prayers!  I have not had the need to shop for anything really for anybody because we all have cold weather clothes that fits.  I have picked up a t-shirt here and there for the kids, anticipating that at some point it in the next few weeks months it will be nice enough for them to need them, but I have held strong in the ladies-department and left it all hanging on the rack.  I would like to think that my fast has something to do with the crazy weather pattern.  You know, God's way of making this fast a bit easier, but then I would have the whole mid-west mad at me, so I'm just going to blame it on global warming...or lack there-of.



What is my point here, you are wondering, because you know, every good post has to have a point.  My point is that when I have said "NEVER", God has said, "Uh-huh, that's what you think.  Watch this."  It's like when you pray for patience, and then all the sudden you have these crazy patience-buidling things happen to you, like waiting in a check-out line at Christmas time, or a husband who is late, or a 3 year old.  God sees the never and turns it into an always.


Please note that I have many, many more things that are going around in my head that I will never do, like sky diving, but believe me, I will not mention them to anybody until I am absolutely, positively sure I want God to make them into a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment