Journey

Journey

Saturday, March 29, 2014

March Madness



March is such a great month.  My man celebrates his birthday this month.  Two of my girls also celebrate their birthdays this month.  There is basketball on TV almost every night, and they are all good games.  It is the month that goes in like a lion and comes out like a lamb.  I mean, how sweet is that...it is also the month where true madness took over our house this year.

I won't go into specifics.  Hopefully you won't die from the suspense of the unknown. 

Anyway, it seems like just yesterday I changed my calendar from February to March.  I blinked twice, and now here we are at the end of March already.  Whew.  That month went super fast.  So now in a couple days when I flip my calendar again, I will only have 1 month left in my fast...just 2 blinks, and I will be done.

Crazy.

And what's even crazier is the fact that I just might make it.

I have had quite a few people ask me this past month what my next step is going to be.  What I am going to do after this.  If I am going to go on a big shopping spree to celebrate.  What my first non-fast purchase will be.

And I just stand there looking all dumb because I don't really have a plan.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good plan.  But I simply don't have one for after this.  And part of that stems from the fact that I wasn't really planning on doing this to begin with.  Not until God spoke to me very clearly through my man.  But I feel like I should have a plan.  Almost like there is something amazing that I should be telling people that I am going to do, like discover the key to world peace or something.  My parents could only wish I was that smart.

So I've sort of been struggling with this whole idea of "what's next" for a few weeks.  And this morning God showed up and spoke to me through my devotions...again.  Sarah Young wrote in Jesus Calling, Stop trying to work things out before their times have come.  Accept the limitations of living one day at a time.  The Bible verse that accompanied that little nugget came to me courtesy of Ecclesiastes 3:1: There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.  To which my footnote spoke these words: Timing is important...the secret to peace with God is to discover, accept, and appreciate God's perfect timing.  The danger is to doubt or resent God's timing.  This can lead to despair, rebellion, or moving ahead without his advice."

I wanted to make sure you caught that last little bit, which is why I found it important to bold, italicize, and underline it.  You are welcome.

Earlier this week I sat by at a table surrounded by other ladies, and we dissected 1 Samuel 23.  God opened my eyes to something very specific in that chapter.  There are two different instances in this chapter where David was under attack and had the ability to implement his own plan, but both times he inquired of the Lord, asking what His will was for him, and God provided David with clarity and insight on the battles that lay ahead.  In one instance, Saul was in hot pursuit of David, longing to kill him.  Yet David took the time to ask God what He would have him do.  God spoke clearly to David and revealed to him what his next step should be.  My footnote from this chapter goes on to say that "David sought the Lord's guidance before he took action.  He listened to God's directions and then proceeded accordingly.  Rather than trying to find God's will after the fact or having to ask God to undo the results of our hasty decisions, we should take time to discern God's will beforehand.  We can hear him speak though the counse of others, his Word, and the leading of his Spririt in our hearts, as well as through circumstances."

Oftentimes while I am reading 1 Samuel I think it would be so handy to have an Urim and Thummim today, which were stones used in Old Testament times as sacred lots to discern God's will.  Lot casting, if you will.

But instead we have this great thing, called the Holy Spirit that lives with us, and leads us, if we let it.  I know that before I take my next step; before I declare what my next "amazing" thing will be; before I blog about what God is calling me to, I am going to inquire of Him, and listen for His still small voice to lead me.


Please note that I love it when people ask me what is next, because it means that you care and that you are maybe reading my blog.  Thank you for all of your support...and for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment