Journey

Journey

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Disconnected

From what I can tell, there are two different people in the world: those who like to be spontaneous(my man), and those who like a well thought-out plan(myself).  And apparently those two different types of people can live in harmony with each other.  Most of the time.

Thursday night my man brought up the idea of getting rid of our cable.  Now, granted, we have thrown this idea around from time to time, but there was never a serious discussion had.  So he threw the idea out there again, and I kind of said that I would possibly think about it the next time I was somewhat bored.

Friday night he mentioned to our son that he needed his help on Saturday in the attic.  So I inquired what they were doing in the attic, perhaps hunting for bats.  Nope.  My man had purchased an antenna, and he planned to put it up Saturday in order to eliminate our DirecTV.

Excuse me.  Do you remember me saying that I would think about it maybe, I had not fully committed to this.

Apparently he was having selective hearing when the topic had been ever so slightly brushed upon on Thursday night.

I voiced my concern, letting him know exactly which channel(s) I would miss watching, along with telling him that the kids would be after his head if they didn't have Disney Junior to watch in the morning.  Ok, so maybe that was me that was going to miss Disney Junior in our morning routine...I can't entertain this tribe 24-hours a day.

Saturday rolled around and I left for a quick Target run.

When I came back 8 hours later, our cable was gone.  Disconnected.  No longer in service.  Kaput.  

Now I know there are a lot of people who live without the likes of cable television.  I just haven't been one of them since I was little enough to do a somersault without pulling a few muscles.  It's not even that I watch that much television, I just like to have it there as an option at 5:30 when the kids are tired and hungry and dinner is still 45 minutes from ready.

And even more than that, I like to contemplate for a rather long time the pros and cons of change.  My husband doesn't.  I have many examples to support that too, but I won't bore you with them on here.

Anyway, the point in all of this is that God is continuing to call me to a simpler life.  One that is not dependent on the happenings of HGTV, but rather on the happenings of life around me.  

I am guessing that by getting rid of DirecTV we will be saving an estimated $1,200 a year, give or take.  And what exactly can be done with that money is up to God, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are lots of places that would welcome that money each month, and perhaps will benefit from it more than DirecTV.  

So I guess that sometimes being spontaneous is what I need to be so that I can have Eyes to see what God has in store for me. 

It is perhaps obvious this far into my blog that I love music and I love how it speaks to me.  I had the privilege to hear Laura Story sing in person this summer, and love her music.  A new song of hers entitled I Can Just Be Me is one that I have fallen in love with.  A few of my favorite lines in the song say "I've been holding on so tightly to all the things that I think that can satisfy my soul.  But I'm letting go....I can be frail and shattered.  Lord I need you now...now I'm needing, desperately pleading, oh Lord be all to me...be my everything.  Cause I'm so tired of trying to be someone I was never meant to be."

I don't think God meant for me to be on this earth for my own happiness, I believe that I was created to do His will.  And He keeps showing me that in this journey.


Please note that over the course of the last 72 hours both the kids and I have survived without HGTV and Disney Junior.  Thankfully the amish antenna up in our attic picks up a new fun cartoon channel, as well as a low-budget HGTV knock-off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment