Journey

Journey

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Feast

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to my daughter's preschool for their Thanksgiving Feast.  We had a great morning preparing food, and then a while later 19 kids and 5 adults sat at a long table to partake in the prepared feast.  There were apple slices, corn bread, more popcorn than we could eat, candy corn, and apple juice to drink.

About an hour after I finished with the preschool feast, I went to grade school to eat the Thanksgiving Feast prepared by the school cooks.  Again, we were offered a variety of foods, including turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn, pumpkin pie, and more.

I felt like a stuffed turkey after indulging in those two feasts.

Earlier that week my mom had shared an article with me by Leslie Royalty entitled "Fasting: An Invitation to Feast."  The article talked about the purposes of fasting, both modern day fasting and that which we read about in the Bible.  In regard to fasting she wrote that "the primary purpose in doing so is to position ourselves with an open and attentive heart before God."

She was speaking right to me, I am sure of it.

She went on to write the following:
"I sensed Jesus' clear invitation, 'I want you to FEAST on ME today'.  What a joy!  Rather than focusing on what I was going without, Jesus was calling me to come to him and FEAST!  Just like I would partake of a big banquet, to dig into him, to drink deeply of HIM.  To eat heartily and savor His Word.  To allow Him to nourish me and satisfy me with Himself.  To enjoy Him, to delight in His presence within and around me."

And so my focus with this fast has turned from what I cannot have or do, to that which God is trying to give me.

He didn't call me to do this so that I would be miserable and walking around wallowing in self-pity, or gloating either for that matter.  He called me to this fast so that I would turn to him to fill me, so that I would feast in his presence and eat the "food" He is offering me.

Just like I was full after a day of feasting with my kids, so God wants me to be full everyday after feasting on His word.

I have starting keeping a journal that is filled with scripture passages that speak to me.  Ones that feed me when I start to feel hungry for God.  Verses that I can turn to when I feel the hunger pains and start longing for something other than God.

I really like Isaiah 41:10:
So do not fear, for I am with you;
  do not be dismayed for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

What a beautiful promise made by our Savior walk with us no matter what we are facing, be it a fast or a feast or something else.



Please note that school lunches are not always my favorite, but I love seeing my kids in their element, on their turf so-to-speak, so they can show me what they do when they are away from home.  I would encourage you to make time to feast with a child in your life this week...even if you have to eat crispitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment