Journey

Journey

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

KCWN & Your Closet

A little less than 4 years ago my life was touched by a 4 year old girl who came to me with her hands overflowing with coins from her piggy bank.  She couldn't count those coins, she didn't really know how much she had, but she knew that she wanted to give all that she had to help the people that she had heard her dad and I talking about.  People a world away who were affected by a horrible earthquake...the one that claimed many lives, left many others homeless, and changed the lives of everyone in their country forever.  

We got the globe out and showed her where exactly she wanted to send her money to, to help people that she didn't know.  The only thing she knew was that people were hurting...and that made her little heart hurt too.

Isn't it amazing what we can learn from our kids.

That sweet little girl had faith that her $13 and some odd cents from her piggy bank would help somebody she had never met live a better life.

And that is the faith I want.

I want to give knowing that if I can only donate $5 a month, God will use it to further his Kingdom. If I can give more, He will bless that and use it.  

Ever since our daughter came to us with those open hands, ready to give, we have felt led to pray for and support the mission of Many Hands for Haiti, which is an organization run out of our own little town here, which supports the efforts in Haiti.  Here is a little blurp from their website about their mission:

"A radical approach, going narrow and deep in a grassroots, co-created effort to make God real for all those involved. You are called to be a difference maker in your circle of influence to fill the hole in life, whether it be physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Make this personal. Stop sitting on the sidelines. Choose this day to change the world. Let us help you."

And now, we are going to help them, and this is how...

I encouraged you to clean your closets...to see what you could do without.  I wrote about how I "cleansed" my closet, getting rid of the clothes that had not been worn in the past year.  I weeded out my pantry, my shoes, my home decor, and the toys...and now I am ready to give it away for the sake of the Many Hands Market in Spencer, Iowa, which directly supports the mission of Many Hands for Haiti.

And I would like to encourage you to do the same.

I am teaming up with KCWN and Many Hands for Haiti to get a semi trailer filled(I think it's actually already almost half-way full, so the challenge isn't so big) with all of our goodies that we can live without.

Are you in?

You should be.

I cannot say enough good about the work that MH4H is doing, and I encourage all of you to be a part of it...here are the details:

Dates: TODAY, January 22-February 22
Drop-off location: KCWN Radio Station {304 Oskaloosa Street, Pella}
Items Accepted:
  *Furniture
  *Home Decor
  *Clothing
  *Shoes
  *Books
  *DVD's
  *Collectibles
  *Kitchen Items
  *Linens
  *Toys
  **Items NOT accepted: tv's, appliances, carseats...so don't bring them.

The sale of items at the Many Hands Market helps provide clean water, food, education, job development and so much more in a country that needs our help.  

How neat to think that the items I can live without could help somebody else live a better life.


Please note that we also cannot accept husbands, kids, or pets.   

No comments:

Post a Comment