Journey

Journey

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Clothes Cleanse

I carved out a little time the other day to start "The Cleanse" in my closet.  As it turns out 5 minutes wasn't going to quite cut it.  So I went through my closet, then went through it again, and have hopes to go through it one more time before I call it good, because apparently I am not there yet.  My man mentioned that he couldn't even tell I had taken anything out of my closet, and yet I had two 3-feet stacks of clothes sitting on the floor.

Gulp.

As I was weeding out the things that I wanted to keep, and those that I was ready to part with I came across a few tops that although the tags were off, I had not ever even worn.  Which led me to think about how unintentional I have been in my shopping.

Do I need clothes to wear?  Yes.  Do I need a closet full of options?  Probably not a closet full, unless you are talking about a closet in a home built in 1902, then maybe a closet full would be just the right amount.

Anyway, my point is that I have been buying things, just because they were a great price and sort of cute-ish.  I didn't give any thought to where I would wear my purchase, or even if I would wear it for that matter.  It felt right, so I did it.

I was in Crewcuts the other day and had a cute little tunic in my hands for my daughter, and it was super-duper on sale.  Like 50% off the sale price.  Be still my heart.  And after walking around with it, and falling in love with it, I decided to hang it back on the rack, turn and walk away.  

Can I get an "AMEN!"

That is what this fast is all about...recognizing a need versus a want, choosing to see where I have fallen victim to consumerism rather than rationalism. 

It's not that I am opposed to buying clothes or other things for myself or my family, but when I let it take the place of God, when I put more value on what brand of clothes I have on, when I spend money on clothes that is going to simply take up space in my closet and never get worn, then I have given the devil a foothold.  

Ephesians 4:27 very clearly speaks about that.  "...do not give the devil a foothold."

Gulp.  Again.

I think it has been well established that for me, shopping is an area that I can so easily give the devil a foothold.  And all it takes is one cute top for me to "fall off the wagon."  

I have been enjoying going shopping with friends or my mom lately with my new eyes that God is giving me.  Instead of grabbing anything that entices me, I have been able to look  through a lens, and see clothes for what it is.  Just clothes.  Not something that can define me or save me, not something that has the ability to bring me long-term happiness or peace, not something that will take away the stress of everyday life. It's just clothes.

Ephesians goes on to say that we are to do "something useful with their{our} own hands, that they{we} may have something to share with those in need."

Guess I better get busy doing something useful with my hands, like cleaning out my closet again, because apparently I have quite a bit to share with those in need.


Please note that my rule of thumb for weeding out my clothes closet was that if I haven't worn it in a year, it was time for me to bid it farewell...


No comments:

Post a Comment