Journey

Journey

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

(ken tent'), adj.

I read this verse this morning from Philippians 4:12:

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

And I have been thinking about this verse ever since.

Part of this verse I can relate to, the part that talks about knowing what it is to have plenty.  But then I wonder if I have learned the secret of being content in ANY and EVERY situation...hmm.

Well, let's see.  I am pretty sure that when I look around me I see a house that has enough room for a family of 6 and all the stuff that comes with it.

If we're being honest, I pry won't have to go a day without clothes to wear, even if I don't buy anything new for the next 5 month and 25 days(but who's counting!?!?!)

Last time I wanted something to eat all I had to do was get up and walk across the room to find a buffet of choices in my kitchen.

As the rain is falling outside I am sitting in a warm, dry chair.

I drive a very reliable vehicle.

I have 4 healthy kids.

A husband who loves me.

Friends that I can call on my regular phone, or cell phone, or I can FaceTime them, or send them a message of FaceBook, or an e-mail.

And I could go on.  My point is this: I AM LIVING IN PLENTY, yet I choose to not be content.

According to my dictionary, the word 'content' means satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

And I just failed that test.

So many times during the day I choose to be unsatisfied with what I have.  I long for more when what I have right in front of me isn't making me happy any longer.

If my house was clean, I would be content.  Or if my body was just a little bit different, I would be content.  Or if my kids were better, I would be content.  Or if my husband would be home to help at breakfast, I would be content.  Or if I was smarter, I would be content.  Or if I had that outfit, I would be content.  Or if I had the latest iPhone, I would for sure be content.

You know what, even if all of the above happened, I pry still wouldn't be content.  I would find something else to long for, something else to be unsatisfied with.

So why could Paul be so content when he wrote that verse in Philippians?  He was sitting in jail facing death...yet he choose to be satisfied.

I love what my footnote says in my Bible..."Paul was content because he could see life from God's point of view.  He focused on what he was supposed to do, not what he felt he should have."

Maybe I've pushed too far, but I am going to keep going..."Paul had his priorities straight, and he was grateful for everything God had given him.  Paul had detached himself from the nonessentials so that he could concentrate on the eternal."

Mind if I keep going?  Good..."Often the desire for more or better possessions is really a longing to fill an empty place in a persons life.  To what are you drawn when you feel empty inside?  How can you find true contentment?  The answer lies in your perspective, your priorities, and your source of power."

Wow.

Thank you Jesus for opening my eyes to this passage...


Please note, I am so awe-struck right now, that I'm not sure I have anything witty to say!  And that doesn't happen very often!!

1 comment: