Journey

Journey

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Testing. Testing. 1-2-3.

So I have to start out tonight by thanking whoever it was that prayed peace upon my day.

It worked.

I woke up feeling a whole lot of wonderful today, and it last all day and well into my night.  A welcome change from how I was feeling last night at this time.

So, now that I have that out of the way, I have to come clean.

I went to the mall today...and Target.

After fulfilling my civil duty for another day, I wanted to quick make a few returns to the mall.

Easy in, easy out I thought.  Make my returns and be on my way.

So I first entered Scheel's, made my return, and left the store with a toddler pair of mittens and a bag of licorice (don't judge me, if you had been locked up in a room all day you would want some too.  And they have THE best licorice.  Ever.)  I don't think I needed husband approval for the mittens, they are necessary in Iowa unless you want to be down a few phalanges come spring.

My next stop was my bff GAP.

If only GAP lived next door to Scheel's, then my life would have been much easier.

I passed by New York and Company and one glance at the cute dresses hanging in the front of the store told me that I was about to walk into the eye of the storm.

Next I strolled by J.Crew, where the lifeless mannequins in the window were literally chanting my name.

"Lindsay. Lindsay. Lindsay."

Oh be quite you cute overpriced sweater and skinny jeans that I could maybe fit one leg into and leopard print booties.  You aren't even cute any more.  And that skirt you have hanging beside you for my daughter is just, just, ugly.

I had to keep walking before I got ugly.

Then, there was GAP, embracing me with arms wide open.  Like it had been waiting for my arrival all day.

It was full of plaid shirts that my man would look so yummy in.  I had to touch just one.  Or two.  Ok, you weren't there, so you can't confirm or deny how many I touched(can you tell who I have been listening to for 2 days?)

Anyway, I made it to the counter to do my return without getting too many odd looks from the employees.  Did my return, and walked through the doorway to GAP Kids for my next transaction.

There are not blinders big enough to block out all of the holiday cuteness that was happening in GAP Kids.

The clerk helped me find the shirt that I was there to exchange, and asked if that was all I needed.

Loaded answer lady, do you really want me to get started?

No, that isn't all I need.  I need that cute little pink dress for my daughter because she would look so sweet in it.  Holden doesn't think he needs more shirts, but that one over there has a truck on it, and he likes trucks, so he should have that.  And those fuzzy pi's are just too cute, so I would like those wrapped up for my daughter....

What I really told her was that I was on a 6-month shopping fast, so yes, the shirt was all I could get.  She thought I was being punished, until I told her that I volunteered for the position.  Then she told me about how some ladies from Pella had been there the day before and had just a great time spending all sorts of money.

Good for them.  Now give me my shirt so I can go wallow in self-pity a bit.

On my way out, I decided to just bee-line it for the door.  I needed fresh air, needed to get away from all the temptations.

Left the mall with a bag of licorice, mittens, and an exchanged shirt and sent this text to my husband:
I HATE this clothes fast.
("hate" is a vinegar-on-the-tongue-word at our house, so don't let my kids know that I used it.  That would be hypocritical.)

Next stop: Target.

Ugh.  I felt like I was just setting myself up for failure with that one.

I went in, told the service counter workers that I needed to exchange a pair of shoes, and headed back to the shoes.  On the way back I may or may not have also walked through the kids clothes.  And I may or may not have had a few articles of clothing in my hands at some point for #2 & #4(sometimes we refer to our kids by number, it's just easier when there are twice as many of them as there are parents.  And honestly, they will pry need therapy someday anyway, so we are just giving them more to talk about.)

Ok, I put all the clothes back, they didn't have the shoes I needed, so I returned them and headed out to my truck.

Walking through the parking lot I had a little chat with my Jesus...asking him for something good to come out of what I am doing.

I am happy to report that I held strong today, and I want to leave you with this verse that a friend shared with me the other day.  It is spot-on.

Why is everyone hungry for more?  "More, more," they say.
"More, more."
I have God's more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day
Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At days end I'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.
                             Psalms 4:6-8, The Message


Please note that if you are crazy enough to do this with me, don't be surprised when people look at you like you have an arm growing out your head when you explain what you're doing.  I have had that exact reaction twice now.  It's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment