Journey

Journey

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Q&A #1

So I have been on this little journey for just over a week now, and it seems like every time I go out I run into somebody that has a question about this little adventure.  I thought I would take a little time to answer a few of those questions tonight.

First of all, some of you are wondering what the parameters of this fast includes.

Thankfully it does not include desserts...that is only thing getting me through these days.  Good news, after I get over my clothes shopping crutch I will have a new one to get rid of: sugar.

It does include spending any money on clothes for myself.

I am allowed to spend money on clothes for the kids, but it has to be husband-approved.  That was the 2nd craziest thing I ever agreed to.  Seriously.

I am convinced that this phantom woman that Zach said did this 6-month challenge successfully is nonexistent.  It's all a hoax and I am calling his bluff.

But I am sticking to the deal.

Next, a few of you have asked how the first week went.

Well, let me be honest...it stunk.

I miss my UPS man.  I miss that feeling that I get when I find a cute little something to soothe my weary wardrobe.  I miss spending the quiet moments of my day with my bff's at GAP.  I miss showing up to a meeting wearing my latest find.

But it's all good.  I only have 5 months and 2 1/2 weeks to go...ugh.

Finally, some of you have asked what I have learned so far.

Well, a lot.

I feel like God has opened up doors for conversations that wouldn't have happened prior to this adventure.

I feel God speaking to me and uplifting me all throughout my day.  I look for Him now in everything.  Every sermon.  Every devotion.  Every book.  Every song.  Every conversation.  And I am convinced that this is what He has called me to do right now.  Even if it isn't fun.

I have learned that as happy as it makes me to rip a tag off of a new shirt, it makes me even happier to think about what I can do with that money to bless others.

Instead of spending my time searching websites for cute little dresses, I spend my time reading books and playing games with my kids.

Instead of worrying about what my kids are going to wear for the Christmas program, and if they are going to match, or if we have the right hair bow to make them look just right, I think about how I can teach them to be content with the clothes in their closet and help them(my girls especially) remember that beauty doesn't lie in coordinating outfits and hair bows, but rather their inner-beauty.

I have learned that obedience to God feels so good.


Please note that I just needed a day to vent.  As hard as this is going to be for me, and as much as I have to fight feelings of jealousy when I see somebody wearing something super cute and new, I am convinced that if I don't lose my mind in the process, I will have new eyes by the end of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment